|Users:||Home Installation Usage FAQ ML/Forum|
|Developers:||Source Code Bugs|
Release Notes 0.9
This document describes the major changes from Moji version 0.8 to version 0.9 and additional important notes for version 0.9.
Basic Installation Requirements
- Moji: Firefox 1.5 or later, Thunderbird 1.5 or later, SeaMonkey.
- Installation of at least one word dictionary for the word search.
- Installation of at least one kanji dictionary for the kanji search.
- On Thunderbird: Installation of xSidebarTIG.
- On SeaMonkey: Installation of xSidebar.
It is recommended to upgrade Moji and all dictionaries to the latest version. Technically, the old dictionaries are compatible with 0.9. However, the latest dictionaries have some extensions which use added functions in 0.9 and they are based on updated edict files where available.
If you have moji and the dictionaries installed from this web site you should be offered the updates automatically during the next update check in your application. If you have installed moji from addons.mozilla.org you won't see the moji update until it is accepted there.
The updated dictionaries are backward compatible with moji 0.8 except for the chinese dictionaries. To use the new chinese dictionaries you must install moji 0.9 as the edict file format has changed for the chinese dictionaries. The new chinese dictionaries all contain the traditional and simplified chinese writings side by side.
The new 0.5 word dictionaries contain special formatting scripts which is utilized by moji 0.9. Old 0.4 dictionaries should work as usual, too, with the standard formatting as in previous versions.
Please see the notes section on the main page.
- It is not possible to use short cuts for moji that are already used in the window system or FF/TB.
- The presentation of the short cut definition preference tab is not very nice at the moment and requires some user knowledge.
- There are no operations on the history list except "Clear". There should probably be some functions to manipule the list, e.g. remove certain entries or reorder some of them to make meaningful vocabulary lists. Bug 16009
- Longest word match does not always give correct results as the base algorithm for it is pretty dumb/simple ;). Bug 18047
- Support for the list of available additional dictionaries on the server is limited to Firefox 1.5+. This feature does not work with Firefox 1.0.* or Thunderbird. You have to download the dictionaries manually from the server.
List of changes
At first glance nothing really has changed in moji 0.9. Two notable GUI changes are the new layout of the configuration window which now should fit on any screen in any resolution using any theme and the recorded search history which is shared among moji sidebars in all open windows of the same application.
Many of the bigger changes are "under the hood" pathing the way for future extensions and improvements. The sidebars in an application are now linked and synchronized showing the same information and using the same configuration. Configuration changes take effect immediately for any future search in any sidebar. It is not necessary anymore to close and reopen the sidebar after an additional dictionary has been added.
A lot of code cleanup has happened and most of the process of creating the edict files from the sources making them compatible with moji has been automated. Previously, this was manual work and was sometimes not correctly done resulting in incorrectly sorted dictionaries and mislead searches. It is now much easier to generate an updated dictionary or to add a new one. While this does not directly affect the use of moji we hope that dictionaries will work more reliable and correct from now on.
- Dictionaries provide script to analyze entries and provide information split into parts. Allows more meaningful formatting of entries and added dictionary-dependent information like abbreviations etc.
- Preliminary persistent history management. The search history is stored in a RDF datasource in the profile directory of Thunderbird and Firefox. The history is saved in the file and restored from there when a new sidebar opens. Also, the history is synced between open sidebars, i.e., always contain the same entries.
- Changes in preferences/options take affect for already sidebars opened. Bug 11707
- Improved internal handling of preferences
- User-defined default action for "Enter" key in moji sidebar textfield. Bug 13482
- User-definable keyboard shortcuts for word and kanji lookups. Bug 13526
- Split preference window into several tabs Bug 12573
- Longest-word match: When activated, the "Word" button does lookup the whole selection and tries to find the longest match from the beginning. Basically it starts with the whole selection and then gradually reduces the length of the selected text until a match is found. Then the search continues on the rest of the text in the same way until the whole text has been parsed.
- SeaMonkey support Bug 13950
- Buggy toolbar icon in toolbox Bug 14302
- moji output uses stylesheet for formatting Bug 13967
- New installed dictionaries are activated by default Bug 12151
- Questions marks in output Bug 14301
- The attributes for the dictionaries (e.g. (v) for verb) should now show more meaningful explanations for many dictionaries if you hover with the mouse over them. This has not yet finished though for all dictionaries.